Vimeo is an American video platform. The video publishing platform is free of ads and offers a wide range of customisation tools unlike many of its competitors.
Can I create subtitles and closed captions directly on Vimeo?
Currently, Vimeo does not have features which enable you to create subtitles. Therefore, your two options are to subtitle the videos yourself or to hire an external service to do the work for you.
Ok, so you want to create the subtitles yourself? Easy! You can generate, edit and align your subtitle for your video using Happy Scribe.
After that, it's as easy as one-two-three. Let's go!
Step 1 - Generate a subtitle or closed caption file for your Vimeo video
Happy Scribe provides an automatic subtitle generator software that helps you to caption your videos in a no time.
- Log in to your Happy Scribe account or create an account.
- Click on Upload a new file,
- In the popup, select Subtitles
- Connect to your Vimeo account directly from Happy Scribe, pick your file, select the language and hit Submit.
5. Go grab a coffee while the machines are doing your subtitles.
Step 2 - How to Edit and Export the Subtitles?
- When your file is ready, click on it. It will open a subtitling editor software where you'll be able to make some edits and make sure that captions are how you want them to be.
- When you're done, just click on "Export" on the top right and select "SubRip SRT". (Make sure that you do not select another format, Vimeo only accepts SubRip for subtitles and closes captions.)
Step 3 - Add the Subtitle or Closed Caption file to your Vimeo
- Select the video from your Vimeo dashboard.
- Click on "Distribution" on the left side of the screen and then on "Subtitles".
- From there, click on the "+" symbol
- Select the language of your subtitles and select "Caption" or "Subtitles"
- Click on "Choose a file" and select the subtitle file that you previously downloaded from Happy Scribe or your own SRT file.
And that's wrap! Simple and straight forward steps to subtitling your video.
Well, what are you waiting for Scorcese? Go try it out for yourself at Happy Scribe.