In January 1996, Bill Gates wrote an article entitled, "Content is King". He predicted that the breadth of information on the Internet will explode over the next few decades and become the medium where real money will be made online.
Fast-forward almost 25 years later, and it is true that the Internet has vastly grown, and the importance of content has increased immensely. However, it’s not just any content dominating the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: the king of content today and in the foreseeable future is video.
The proliferation of video on the web is a double-edged sword for content creators. On the one hand more people are looking for your videos. Yet, on the other hand, humans today have a shorter attention span than a goldfish.
That means to catch someone’s attention in a crowded marketplace, you need to use every tactic available, including adding subtitles.
Many social media platforms mute their videos by default and a lot of people scroll through their feeds at high speeds. Therefore, to get an idea of what your video is about, you will need words on the bottom of your screen to get potential viewers to stop.
However, manually typing the subtitles yourself is time-consuming. A better option is to get someone else to provide you with an SRT file for free.
Yes, I said FREE!
To find out how to get a free SRT file for a 10 minute video, read on….
How to Get a FREE SRT File for a 10 Minute Video
To get a free SRT file for a 10 minute video, all you need to do is sign up for a no obligation trial of Happy Scribe. Happy Scribe is an automatic transcription service that can convert the audio in your video to text in a matter of minutes.
- Go to Happy Scribe sign up.
2. Enter your contact details.
3. Check your email and active your account by confirming your email address.
4. Sign in using your provided email address and password.
5. Answer the personal details information.
6. On the payment options, click ‘Continue Without A Plan’ at the bottom.
7. Click on ‘Upload a New File’.
8. Answer 4 brief questions on the audio quality and click 'Proceed'.
9. Select the video file from your drive and choose the language.
[Note: Happy Scribe is one of the few automatic transcription service providers that transcribe in additional languages beyond English.
10. Wait for your file to upload. This can take a couple of minutes depending on the length of your file. We recommend that you use this time to go make another cup of coffee or text your mom.
11. Click Transcribe. Happy Scribe will transcribe your files in just a few minutes. It usually takes half of the file length.
12. When you see a green Done tick, the transcript is ready to view.
13. Make any necessary edits. Many people choose not to fix the subtitle errors. This is a big mistake because subtitles can really make a difference in how many people engage with your videos. The time that you'll spend editing the transcript will mainly depend on its quality. To save you more time, we highly recommend uploading high-quality audio files with limited background noise.
14. Click on Export and choose SRT and click download.
What if My Video is More Than 10 Minutes Long?
If the video you want transcribed is longer than 10 minutes, you will need to either trim or split the file before uploading. Each media player device has a different set of steps you will need to execute in order to trim or split. However, I’ve provided the steps on how to do this for the iMovie desktop app for Mac below:
- Open iMovie from your Launchpad.
- Click on Projects.
3. Select the video you need to split or trim. Then go to ‘Edit/Duplicate Movie’.
4. Open the Duplicate Copy.
5. Move the cursor bar to a point in the video that is less than 10 minutes. In the example below I'm going to cut my 3:44 movie to 3:00.
6. Use the ‘Shift’ button to click on the first scene after the cursor bar. Then whilst holding the ‘Shift’ bar down scroll to the end of the movie and click the last scene.
7. Click on ‘Edit/Cut’
You should now have a revised video at required length to get a free SRT file with Happy Scribe.
Get 10 More Hours Free!
After the trial, you can get up to an additional 10 hours free by referring Happy Scribe to friends.
- Click on the Start Referring Button.
2. Share your unique referral link on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
3. Send an email to all of your friends and co-workers with your unique referral link
4. Copy your unique referral link and share wherever you like.
You get 60 minutes free when one of your friends signs up using your referral link and selects a plan. You also get 10 minutes free when you share your referral link on Social Media using the 'Share On..' links provided.
Hopefully, you will love the free video to text automatic transcription so much you’ll want to use Happy Scribe every time you need subtitles for your video. If so, you can buy extra minutes for as little as $12/per hour without a subscription. Or you can get a monthly subscription for as little as $9/per hour. Check out our plans here.
If you have any questions about adding subtitles to your videos, please don't hesitate to contact us at Happy Scribe.