Transcribe your podcast

The part Kenny show on news talk with Marter private network during current restrictions. Don't ignore your health concerns. Our expert team is ready to help. On December the 30th of last year, Godlee shot dead 27 year old George in Kencho outside his family home in Dublin. George had allegedly assaulted a shop worker in a nearby supermarket before Godlee followed him home. He was armed with a knife throughout the incident and had threatened the guard. The guards would later say they had used non-lethal methods over a period of time in an attempt to subdue George.


When these tactics didn't work. Amid fears that the situation was escalating, guards opened fire, killing him. Agist investigation began in the aftermath as a standard in such incidents. However, the family of George Encanto has expressed concern about the investigation. One of the main reasons being that it took 28 days for GSK to interview members of the family, who had been some of the closest witnesses to the shooting in the aftermath of that shooting, race became a major factor in the discussion around the incident.


The Irish Independent reported that on Gaza, Shaquana sources were very concerned by lies being circulated widely online about George by fascists and racists since the incident. The family has received racist hate mail at their home. I spoke with George's younger sister, Gloria, who was in the house that day and who tried to intervene in the situation outside the home. And I asked Gloria to tell me something about her brother George and what kind of a young man he was.


George was my big brother. He was a protector. He he wore that label of Big Brother very well. He was somebody that we could always speak to. He was very sociable guy. He had his own group of friends. He was a football enthusiast. He also really enjoyed music. And, you know, he's always take part in the talent shows and secondary school. I remember we used to do a variety show. I used to get up there with his friends and just, you know, make music and just have a laugh with these guys.


That's the type of person that George was. Now, it has is well known at this point that George was suffering with a mental illness, can you tell us about that?


And when it was first diagnosed, so we first started noticing a change in George's behaviour around 2015. I believe he had just experienced personal trauma which had affected him. He went from being a very sociable guy to being very isolated and not speaking. He used to notice that he wasn't sleeping bags under his eyes. I remember when I was working in my work time at this time was eight thirty. So I would get up pretty early in the morning at zero five ish, four or five, and he would be awake.


And even when I'd get home late today or late in the night, he would be awake. So he's up, he's late, he's sleeping, going to bed really late. It gets at all. I'm up around the same time as myself, which is around five o'clock and says this boy isn't sleeping from always exercising and looking after himself. He stopped, gained loads of weight loss, the weight rapidly, again, just becoming very isolated and very, very to himself.


He was diagnosed at the early stages of PTSD and he was suffering from ongoing mental illness, which obviously developed into something more. We all what we were waiting on help from the HSC to have him committed.


But unfortunately, he passed before being referred now, before the day that he died, was he having episodes that made you worry about his interaction with other people?


No, not in terms of interacting with other people. He used to still go out to the shops if we needed him to. He's never been in trouble or never like, you know, had an altercation with the public or anything like that.


He used to just go about his routine and come straight home. I was never worried that he would you know, I was afraid of him being interrupted and interacting with somebody. Your problem. I wasn't worried about that. No. And in the immediate run up to the shooting when he died the day before and the day in question, were there any particular things of concern?


No, no, not not that I didn't see him the day he died, but the night before, looking for us to be concerned about he was at home as normal as it was, just a normal day. I didn't see anything that I should have been concerned about the day before.


Now, the first idea that you had that something was going on was when you saw him outside the house on the day of of the shooting, and we know a little bit about where he had been in the previous few minutes.


The reporting was that he went to a shop and that he assaulted a member of staff at the shop. And I'm sure you were surprised when you heard that he'd behaved like this.


Yeah, I was surprised when he left, when I heard that he believes about this. So now we still don't know the outcome of what actually transpired on that day, from what I could see. I remember my experience with that is I was upstairs in my room expecting a delivery that day. I was in the room, my sister, we had an altercation. We see not even have we seen like a police from the back of our house. And we just assumed maybe it was something to do with something happening down the road or whatever.


So we were like, oh, let's just go have a look. We go we go downstairs.


And my sister is the first one to notice that this is it's George because it's happening in front of our house.


And then I look and then I try and I open the door and try to, you know, say, this is my brother.


What's going on? I'm just trying to speak.


But I wasn't allowed. I was just told to go back to the house and in the space a few minutes from me, see my brother alive. He was shot and killed. In front of the house, the Gardy, do we know whether or not they knew he was going home or were they just pursuing him from from the shop where the original incident took place?


Well, I know I believe that they knew that this was his house because where else would he be going? So you can see it's been told that they were following him. He has interacted with anybody. And the way he's following a group home, he's going home. He's following a route. He's not trying to knock on the doors. He's not trying to do any of that. He's following the reform and he gets to a house in which he attempts to enter his own home.


And I've even come out while he's still alive to say, this is my brother, what's going on, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Nobody was listening to me. I don't even think they heard me. And what did you do then? I mean, were you able to emerge from the house or did they tell you to get back in?


Yeah, they told me to get back and I wasn't even able to. I opened the door, but I wasn't even able to step out. Now, how many guards would you say were surrounding him because he was solitary? He may have been carrying a knife, but he was certainly solitary. How many guards were around him?


I don't know the exact number, but there is definitely at minimum 12 to 15 minutes, 12, 15. What do you understand happened because according to a video that was a bit long distance, but it appeared that George lunged at a God. Do you know do you understand what is supposed to have happened at that time?


So from what I understood, because I have the climb watching the video, but from what I understood as George was coming home, coming into the house and he was shot in the back in front of the house, he was shot in the back.


And that's when he turned around and tried to defend himself. Now, I just want to put that into context.


Somebody who is clearly experiencing an episode is probably paranoid, is probably scared. There's people in masks and bright clothing. He's now trying to enter his house. His a place of safety and he's now been shot. Probably doesn't even know what that feels like. It's just none of this have been shot. We don't know what it feels like to be shot in the back and thinks that he has to protect himself.


And that's probably what he turned around and swung the reporting at the time, said the they had tried to use non-lethal methods to subdue George and these had failed. And that is why they used lethal force to subdue him.


Do you accept that that was the case or do you believe that 12 guards should have been able to do something rather than open fire?


Yes, I definitely believe that the train, the people that are trained the best of the best in the country should have been able to subdue one man who was cornered in his house, in his garden. They should have been able to subdue him, subdue him, as opposed to taking his life was the best option at that point to take his life. Now, were you aware of the gunfire from within the house, I mean, did was there any.


Did any bullets enter your home glass panel dust to those two holes, three bullet holes, one that I heard on the desk? Well, I didn't see the bullets directly go into the house because of everything that was going on. I wasn't looking at my feet. I heard the shots. And then afterwards we saw the glass.


And there was just to put a halt to what appears to be two bullet holes in the panel. Now, any time there is a shooting like this with the Garthe, there's obviously a JESCA investigation that follows, but also it becomes the scene of a shooting. And generally we'd all have seen it on television, the the yellow tape and all the rest of it. Did you have to leave your home?


Yes. So directly after this. And when my brother was taken away, a man came in and explained that somebody, an independent person, was going to come inside and just have a little look at the area to see that everything was OK or just to investigate. We were told that it would be within the hour and we would be allowed back in. So I just took my phone.


I was in my pyjamas at the time. I could just to on a jumper and left the house and we were told we will be allowed back in an hour. So we've left the house. We were totally allowed back in in an hour. We came back two hours later. We weren't allowed. There was no updates. We were allowed back into our house until the next day. And when we and that was nobody told us that was just coming back and forth.


We came back and the house was open and we just walked in and that was it. Nobody told us that you are allowed back and nobody told us that they had finished collecting evidence. Nobody told us anything. We were told back before we left it would be not more than an hour. And then after that. Now, whenever the Zagar the shooting of a member of the public, there is it's always a big headline and I remember thinking at the time, you know, very unusual Guard the open fire.


And then I read the report, they tried to use non-lethal force and eventually George was shot.


But within hours, I would say I was seeing stuff online saying, you know, this is no ordinary citizen and this guy has 30 prior convictions. There was a picture of, you know, allegedly one of Georgia's victims.


None of this was true. Yeah, absolutely none of it was true.


But it wasn't a criminal. He had no convictions. He didn't attack anybody with a knife. That picture that was shown was apparently from a picture of England, from a football fight or something like that.


But it's just the fact that people were so quick to believe it. Like this news spread like wildfire and fire. And everybody believed everybody was like, yes, he did this, he did that. And it just came from a small minority, a small minority who tried to use this as an opportunity to create divide. And it was picked up and it was believed that that's what was scary to me. It was like, how can this be believed so quickly?


How can it be accepted as fact until the headlines came and said he had no prior convictions. And even at that, certain people still believe that, you know, that picture is real. That's what they believe. What do you believe?


That's a deliberate tactic by certain people on particularly the far right to to take any incident that involves someone of colour, for example, or someone of difference, and to attribute things to them because that will increase racial tension? Yes, it is.


It is something that I believe it's a very small percentage of society that's trying to use this tragic event to create divide and further their own agenda that I do believe that. What was the aftermath of this in terms of the level of abuse and the racism that you encountered on foot of this misinformation going around the place in the aftermath of the direct act?


What was it was so bad?


It was disgraceful. We got messages, comments. We got a letter sent Trex people just being horrific, horrific to myself and my family when the truth started to come out. We then started to receive support and sympathy and condolences. But the direct aftermath right after this, after seeing our brother being killed, Trents, he deserved it. It was good. What was happening. It was justified. Go back to your country. You don't belong here. All of those things directly after this.


But like I said, when the truth came out, we started receiving support and condolences, which is great to see as well.


Do you feel secure in your own home at the moment? No, I don't. I've lived in that area for over, so I've lived in that house for close to eight, nine years, but I lived in that area, back on the area for probably over 10 years. And I've had no power when I come home late from school, you know, when it was dark around 5:00, am I going to school? I would walk home, walk home from work in the dark before I was driving.


I've always felt completely secure. My friends, they all left the area and used to always be out when it was dark. It was never a problem. But right now I don't feel secure going outside of my house that I don't feel secure walking around on my own. Most times I don't. I just feel like I no longer belong.


I feel anxious all the time because everybody knows where our house is. Everybody, because it's been put on the media, I address everything. So there's a lot of crazy stuff that you don't know how somebody may react. You don't know if this is a far right person and they might say something to you or they might do something to you. I don't feel secure enough to answer your question.


Did the guards keep you in the loop? No, it's always a difficult situation because even in the case of someone, for example, who was raped, they end up being a witness in their own case. No more than that, even though they are the victim, in your case, to the family where they kept in the loop by the Garda as to what was going on and when certain things would happen.


So we were kept in the loop as to what was going on when certain things would happen. I was assigned my family was assigned a family liaison officer as well as a TSA agent officer.


But as far as updates, we weren't really been given. So this is the stage where this is what's going to be happening. It was my lawyer that was probing and sending letters and telling us what's going on. We need to know why have statements are being taken and so forth. So this is my lawyer sending letters and correspondence and you to get these updates that we weren't given. The Garda liaison officer, how was your interaction with that officer? Was it good?


Well, he I with him directly, he's raising with another family representative and they haven't had any complaints about him so far. So I would say it's been fine.


Now, the pace of the investigation, obviously, you would like to get at this resolved and a finding one way or the other. Very quickly, what has the liaison officer from GSK being saying to you? They don't have a timeline. And it seems to be an issue of resources. They are my parents went into the meeting and they asked for a time, but they were basically told they don't know the timeline. It could go on indefinitely. They don't know.


So, yeah, that's where it's just basically we're just sitting here waiting. In terms of what your family did proactively, your family had an independent autopsy carried out on your brother George, what did that autopsy find?


That autopsy found that George was indeed shot in the back and they shot the directions of the bullets and I was shot in the back. And the amount of bullets, I believe, was five minutes after, which is five or six bullets. And he was shot in the back. That was the main thing that, you know, that if that stopped us because it was like he was shot in the back on his way inside his home. Now, we obviously try to get something from Jesus in response to our enquiries, and they said the following, the Jesus investigation has identified in excess of 80 people that Jesus wished to speak to, many of whom have now been interviewed.


As with any investigation, not everyone approached has relevant information or may not wish to be formally interviewed. Other people may have information which leads to new lines of enquiry. This part of any investigation is time consuming but essential. Obtaining other evidence, be it medical evidence or technical evidence, requires the cooperation of outside parties. And these aspects of the investigation are also being progressed. Jesus is conscious in this, as in any case involving the death of a loved one of the family members and the grief they are experiencing.


It is therefore to the benefit of all parties involved that a fair and thorough investigation be carried out and all evidential avenues be explored fully. As this is an ongoing criminal investigation, it would not be appropriate to give details of what particular witnesses have been spoken to or evidence gathered or particular lines of enquiry being followed at this point. And in answer to your question about the timing of Jesus interviewing the family of a Mr in Kencho, it would be normal practise for investigators not to approach the family of a deceased person for a formal statement until after a funeral has taken place.


In this instance, there's been a longer than usual period before the funeral, which has yet to take place. Consequently, Jesus did take formal statements from relevant family members prior to the funeral. But after a certain period of time had passed during that time, a family liaison officer met the family and was in regular contact and continues to provide family liaison services to the bereaved family.


So were you actually interviewed then by Jesus and how long after George's death?


So we were interviewing about 28 days after the death. And that's, what, about 28 days after the death. What do you want to get from this GSA enquiry and do you have confidence in what is going on at the moment?


I don't want it done fairly without the bias, without all the information and truth be told, no, I don't have confidence in the investigation because like I said, this seems to be an issue of resources, the delay in getting our statements.


We've also heard that the person that pulled the trigger is not, you know, suspended. He still is still on duty. So to me is are you taking this as seriously as it is to us? So, no, my confidence isn't there. Well, Gloria, look, thank you very much for talking to us. I can understand that Jesus could be saying these are long and torturous investigations to be fair to all sides in the investigation. But let's hope that, as I say, that some resolution will be made available that does bring you some peace.


Gloria, thank you very much for joining us on the programme. Thank you.